interview with kate moross


COMMERCIAL WORK

You seem to have just dived in at the deep end creating flyers and getting your work known in London, but how have you evolved from these commissions to working with the likes of Top Shop, and how different do find working for smaller compared to bigger organisations? (Kirsten Cowie)

Big and small are surprisingly similar, its not really the size of the client that creates differences, its more their attitude that affects the way a project develops.


ILLUSTRATION VS GRAPHIC DESIGN VS ART

Is there any reason why you decided to do both Graphic Design and illustration? (Racheal Stayman) 

I love both of them, they are in some ways seamless, and in other way completely different. There is certainly more design involved with illustration than there is illustration in design. I enjoy playing the two off each other, and it creates interesting and dynamic projects. It also means there is a range and variation in the type of work I do. One day i could be designing a book, and the next day drawing on the ceiling somewhere.

The First things First manifesto encouraged Graphic designers to put there skills to uses other than consumer products, do you think it was ever and viable way to live avoiding corporate work? (Jane Cassells)

I read through the manifesto recently, and obviously like most commercially employed designers, one gets rather defensive. Part of me understands the need for such and article, but part of me is also adamant that there is a need for commercial design, even if it is for dog biscuits or hair gel. I mean not that I buy either, but if i did have a puppy or a quaff hair-do (and as a design snob) I like the advertising around me to be smart and good looking.

I think that design should be inclusive not exclusive. But most of all, I am a consumer, and Graphic Designers seem to be some of the biggest gadget freaks, online shoppers and the rest. Like you mentioned, we all have to eat. Commercial work pays my salary, and helps me fund my record label, and the many interns, assistants, and contractors I employ. In my work I always hope to maintain an integrity and sensitivity in the consumer brands that I work with and for. Making sure the projects are progressive, and in keeping with my ethos.

As a practising designer do you feel it is appropriate to impose your own agenda (political/ethical or otherwise) into each project, or purely focus of the needs of the client? (Jane Cassells)

I don't think you should impose your ideas onto a project but instead make sure you chose work that you believe in. For example I have been asked to do numerous campaigns for alcoholic beverage companies, but each one I have turned down. Purely based on the fact that I don't drink, and I don't believe that alcohol should be advertised commercially

What do you consider to be the professional attributes of a Graphic Designer? (Jane Cassells)

Hard working, curious, and energetic.

What's your actual working process? (Rory Mackie)

sit down at my desk - get a bit of paper, sketch out a basic framework, pencil in some type or whatever it is i am drawing, and then go at it straight away with my pens, there is no point of being scared of it. never start again if something goes wrong, i like to work something until it is finished, even if that process i quite pain staking.i think you get a better result than starting afresh. I like to work little areas to perfection, and then spend time joining them together so that the whole thing looks obsessively detailed.
Do you go through the same working process with each client or does it differ from job to job? (Hannah Whitmore)

Usually its the same, think, talk, write, draw.
love the simplicity of this answer straight to the point.

i think there are some really good potentiall quotes within these interviews with kate especially the later, i find it interesting finding out the opinions of designers on debates within designing work for commercial clients, but kate rightfully states it helps fund side projects and that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment